[USML Announce] (no subject)

springkerb at aol.com springkerb at aol.com
Fri Aug 13 17:12:38 EDT 2010

 I read 3.1 to govern the structure of the roster, but not whether players must be in those slots.  3.4 governs how we can populate the roster, and it precludes only over-representation at a position.  If 3.1 meant what you say, then the discussion of over-representation at a position in 3.4 would be unnecessary.  To employ the cannons of construction:

The express preclusion of over-representation at a position in 3.4 implicitly permits under-representation (expressio unius); and
If 3.1 governed the actual population of the roster, rather than just its structure, then the discussion of over-representation at a position in 3.4 would be unnecessary (avoid "surplussage").
3.1 was in the constitution when we allowed this before,so we must have been reading as explained above.