[USML Announce] Nukes Reserved About Bard, While K-9 Close The Deal With Aceves

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 20:12:25 EDT 2012

*ITEMS
*FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The most important race of the Red Sox's Spring
Training came to a close Sunday morning, when left-hander Felix Doubront
and right-hander Daniel Bard were named the team's fourth and fifth
starters, respectively.

Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine, speaking to reporters on Sunday, didn't
seem overly concerned about the severity of the injury [to Hoosier Daddies
closer Andrew Bailey] or the difficulty in finding a closer in case Bailey
can't answer the bell, saying the team has "good options."

"I think things have been done accordingly to make sure that we're covered
there," said Valentine, who earlier in the day indicated that he could
envision Alfredo
Aceves<http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/29223/alfredo-aceves>pitching
in a closer role if needed. Aceves had been a contender for a spot
in Boston's starting rotation.
*LOSER
*Nukes. Demonstrate little faith in flamethrower Bard by reserving him,
while keeping headhunter Ubaldo Jiminez active, showing *LACK OF JUDGMENT.

WINNER
*K-9. Spurned in efforts to land decent starting pitching via free agent
market, K-9 at least have a C-I-W in the otherwise unremarkable Aceves, as
this team* MATURES GRACEFULLY.*