[USML Announce] Bombers - draft day review

Mark Blocker mbblocker at aol.com
Mon Mar 12 20:44:50 EDT 2012

Bombers - 2012 Draft Review

DRAFT DAY STRATEGY

1.            Try to be the first one to arrive at the draft so I have time
to set up my fancy draft software!  First year not using paper.

2.            Buy one established closer, and then spend the vast majority
of my remaining money on offense.  Be willing to take some risks with
upside, since I am light on undervalue.

3.            Do not bid on Phil Hughes or Francisco Liriano, who ruined my
season last year.

4.            Don't wait too long to spend money, which frequently weakens
my draft.

WHAT WENT RIGHT

1.            Arrived at 7 am and the draft software worked well.  I am
interested in comparing to Rotolab.

2.            Bought Valverde, spent copious amounts on offense.  Achieved.

3.            Easier than I thought.

4.            Spent more evenly along the way.

WHAT WENT WRONG

1.            Should have gone the extra dollar on Carp to fill CI; instead
I ended up with Trumbo who may struggle to get playing time.  Put this in
the risk/reward column.

2.            Did not buy enough starting pitching.  Will have to trade or
FAAB my way out of that, but at least I did not waste draft dollars (see
Strategy point #3 above).

3.            Overall, a C+/B- job of drafting.  Could have done better.