[USML Announce] Hits and Mrs.: I Watched It Since You Don't Have To

rickgam at comcast.net rickgam at comcast.net
Thu Jan 17 08:05:01 EST 2013

Greetings;

    I'm going to be in Vegas during the Super Blow and will make it a point to look up Pete at his little shop at

the Caesar's Forum.  Re my first MLB game - I went to many an Indianapolis Indian game to watch the likes of

Jim Hicks, Bill Voss, Kurt Bevacqua, Pedro Borbon, Tom Hume, et. al.  True story about Pat Zachry, who if

memory serves had an outstanding rookie year with maybe the best team of my lifetime (Big Red Machine of

'76).  The Indians at that point were the Reds' farm team and in '75 he stole my best friend's big brother's

girlfriend, who I also knew.  She worked at that great Indy culinary landmark, Steak n' Shake.  I believe the

kids today call it mackin' , but Mr. Zachry noticed her and after home games would come sniffing around and

worked her until she could no longer resist the charms of a burgeoning major league talent.  I have no idea

how long the relationship lasted, but I do remember my best friend's family was very pissed and went to at

least one Indian game specifically to catcall/ scream at Mr. Zachry.

    As to my first major league game, you might find this hard to believe, but I waited until just last year to attend

my first game in person.  I went with Manti Te' o.  I'll never forget, in the 1st inning Babe Ruth hit a towering line

drive, which Ted Williams leapt up 20 feet in the air to snatch.  Lefty Grove was firing pills that day, but Mickey

Mantle got hold of one and I think it was measured at 680 feet.  But the real highlight was Cool Papa Bell bunting

and racing around the bases and reaching home plate before Mark Belanger even touched the ball ........ oh,

wait, that was a different game .

    Rick