[USML Announce] Callis on Buxton

Jeffrey Winick jhwinick at aol.com
Mon Jul 1 11:34:07 EDT 2013

You won't hear about this from Brad Lee, since it concerns good (rather than bad) news about the Berliners.

My friend, Jim Callis of Baseball America, thinks it unlikely that he would be available in a keeper league.  Well, guess what?

You know where to find me.

Buxton profile; top prospects for '13

Updated: June 28, 2013, 2:03 PM ET
By Jim Callis | Baseball America

41

9

36

EMAIL

PRINT

Normally we use the top of this column to profile players who can help your fantasy team in 2013.

This week we're going to make an exception. Minnesota Twins outfield prospect Byron Buxton is simply that good.

I don't usually advocate investing in Class A prospects outside of deep keeper leagues, because you're usually going to have to wait 2-3 years before they make an impact on your fantasy club. But if Buxton is still available in your keeper league, grab him now.

Baseball America's top-rated prospect in the 2012 draft, Buxton went second overall and signed for $6 million. The Appling County High (Baxley, Ga.) product has legitimate five-tool ability, and all five of the 6-foot-2, 189-pounder's physical tools (hitting ability, power, speed, center field defense, arm) have a chance to be well above average once he's fully developed.

[+] Enlarge
Brace Hemmelgarn/Four Seam Images/AP Photo
Byron Buxton, still just 19, made surprisingly light work of the Midwest League.

His development may not take as long as originally anticipated either. After a modest .248/.344/.448 pro debut in 2012, Buxton was slated to spend all of this season in the low Class A Midwest League. He's only 19, and the MWL is one of the minors' toughest hitting environments. But he handled the assignment with aplomb, hitting .341/.431/.559 with 32 steals in 68 games at Cedar Rapids, demonstrating a fine eye at the plate (44 walks versus 56 strikeouts) as well. The last player to generate as much buzz in the MWL was Mike Trout three years ago, and Buxton had more power at the same stage of their careers.

The Twins promoted Buxton to high Class A on Tuesday, and he has the ability to mirror Trout's rapid ascent to the major leagues. That would put Buxton in Minnesota before the end of 2014, and it might not take him much longer to develop his 30-homer/30-steal potential. Simply put, he's the best prospect in baseball.