[USML Announce] I'm Out

Jeffrey Winick jwinick at harriswinick.com
Tue Jul 30 14:26:24 EDT 2013

Guys,

I've spent 48 hours trying to come to terms with the weekend trades involving the Brats.  I can't.

The trade with Rich effectively ended what should have been a great finish to the season.  There were 5 teams with at least a shot to win this year in what was the tightest race in the history of the USML.  Now we have a runaway winner crowned not because of great strategy or foresight, but because one team was prepared to turn the season on its head one week before the trading deadline.

Dump trades happen every year and they are always upsetting to one team or another.  And unbalanced trades, even absurdly unbalanced trades happen on occasion.  I get it.  It's entirely conceivable that a dump trade could have been completed this last weekend that would have put one of the teams in the driver's seat to win this year.  But when a DUMPING team trades away four legitimate keepers (Joe Mauer ($16), Raul Ibanez ($2), Anibal Sanchez ($20) and Omar Infante ($6)), I'm left to wonder why I'm playing this game.  I am not and I REPEAT, I am not, suggesting that there was any wrongful intent involved in this weekend's transactions.  But I honestly can't understand them and I have made a concerted effort to do so.

I've been really angry for 48 hours thinking about these trades.  That's ridiculous.  I haven't slept well for two nights because of my frustration about what has now happened to this season.  That's nuts.

So I'm going to do the responsible thing and stop subjecting myself to a game that is supposed to make me happy but is instead making me miserable.  I'm out.  I'm not going to dump my team, although I've considered it.  Even were it possible (and it isn't), I'm not going to try to duplicate the type of ridiculously unbalanced trades that just took place.  I'm just essentially going to stop playing this year.  In that way I hope to minimize the impact on the rest of the teams in the league while at the same time moving on from this set of circumstances.

I'm sure that with 4 months to cool down I'll be ready to give it another go next year.  But in fairness, I'm not presently prepared to make that commitment.

Jeff

Jeffrey H. Winick
Harris | Winick LLP
333 West Wacker Drive
Suite 2060
Chicago, Illinois 60606
Tel: 312.662.4600 | Fax: 312.662.4599
Direct: 312.662.4602 | Cell: 312.841.2817
www.harriswinick.com<http://www.harriswinick.com/> | jwinick at harriswinick.com<mailto:jwinick at harriswinick.com>

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY, ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGE & DISCLAIMER
The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential information, protected by the attorney-client privilege and intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender via telephone or e-mail and delete the message.  Thank you.  Although this e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer systems into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and Harris|Winick LLP shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.