[USML Announce] Dustin The Wind For Howling K-9

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 18:47:03 EDT 2013

*ITEM*
PEORIA, Ariz. -- Though Dustin Ackley was the Mariners' leadoff hitter last
season after the trade of Ichiro Suzuki, and spent most of that year
hitting first or second, manager Eric Wedge had the young second baseman
batting eighth in Sunday's 4-3 victory over the Rangers, and he said that
could be a sign of things to come.

With Franklin Gutierrez being used in the leadoff role and Kyle Seager a
strong candidate to bat second, Wedge is able to drop Ackley down pretty
far in an order that has been strengthened significantly with the offseason
additions of hitters like Michael Morse, Kendrys Morales, Raul Ibanez and
Jason Bay.

"I want to be a complete lineup this year," Wedge said. "I want to be
one-through-nine, and there's a chance that's where he's going to hit as we
put this thing together. It doesn't matter where he hits, it's just about
him getting on track."
* *
*LOSER*
Klein 9. Hopes for a productive MI leadoff hitter take downturn with Ackley
demotion to 8th spot in lineup. And if Stephen Drew can't get his head on
straight, K-9 will be barking all season about lack of production from his
MIs.

*WINNER*
AFV. Brilliant acquisition of Franklin Gutierrez ($6!) by young upstart
owner should send Jeff Winick back to his rotolab for future testing of his
draft day strategems which, at this point, have not been BLJ-approved..

*
*