[USML Announce] FAAB results question

Mark Blocker blockermark at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 11:27:40 EDT 2021

League:  So many emails before 10 am....I knew we could not just be
discussing the Berliners' failed 2021 rotation draft strategy in which it
selected a bunch of prospects who were drafted by NL teams (McLain, Watson,
etc.) or refused to sign with their AL teams (Fabian).  But I digress.

When it comes to FAAB bidding, we long ago decided to simply follow
whatever spits out of Onroto, and it was for the reason Andy identified --
it was too administratively difficult to do otherwise.  Before we used
Onroto, teams would submit bids via email, including contingent bids, and
then I would manually compare them, applying the USML rules. When we
switched to Onroto, we abandoned that process.  I am not crystal clear how
Onroto processes bids, but whatever it does, we have to go with that. For
clarity, I will email Onroto to ask how this works.

Frank has a fair point that we should probably update our rules to reflect
this change, but we have generally been slow to do that, and I do not think
this is the only informal rule we follow. However, I would also ask for a
measure of perspective about how outcome-determinative any of this is
likely to be. As I understand it, Yimi Garcia is slated to be a set-up guy
in Houston, not the closer, so while he will generate some counting stats,
it probably will not decide the race. And while I am not willing to eat a
bug, Jeff is quite right that this probably will not be the BJ Surhoff
Stolen Base of 2021. We have now gone many years without a significant
dispute, and it would be great to keep it that way.

  -- Mark B.