[USML Announce] Carl Crawford

Jim Barrett chicagojab at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 19 10:54:27 EST 2006

Wow, I'm about to start my fifth season in the league and I guess I've misunderstood the long term contract thing this whole time.  I thought that when you signed someone to a LT contract, you give him an immediate $5 bump and then add $5 each year.  In otherwords if you were signing a $5 Y2 player to a 2 year extension then he would go to $10 immediately in '06, $15 in '07, and $20 in '08.  But I guess what you're saying is that he would immediately go to $15  [$5 +(2 x 5)] and stay that way though '08?

  I probably would have handled contract renewals differently (for instance Mauer this year) if I understood that. Oh well.

  Nope. The salary was bumped when the contract was extended and it stays at that level until the contract is ended. Will you share a portion of this treasure with me as a kind of finder's fee?