[USML Announce] Serious Rule Change Proposal

Jim Barrett chicagojab at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 13:02:36 EDT 2007

I agree with those that say the proposal is too late to implement this season but there is no reason that we can't discuss and vote on a change for next season right now.  I think that trading for prospects is an important strategic element of this league and would vote against getting rid of it entirely.

   However, I also agree with the concern that the dumping begins way too early.  I'd support a black out period during which trading prospects is forbidden.  Maybe a no prospect trade period beginning on Roster Freeze Day and ending sometime in June. I'm flexible on the date but think it should be at least 2 months.

  Regarding the "prospect" definition - I wouldn't require the USML contract to actually begin running before the trade.  Instead, to be eligible, the player in question just needs to be called up to his AL club.  The acquiring owner would then have to activate the player within 1 week of the trade.   The owner trading the player away shouldn't be required to activate a player in anticipation of a deal.

  -Jim

"Andrew R. Klein" <anrklein at yahoo.com> wrote:
  That's all true, though I wasn't trying to spring something on the league in any strategic way.  I would still respectfully request a vote.  In the unlikely event my views are shared by a majority of the league, it's something worth thinking about before we draft another season's worth of players in the rotation round.

-Andy

Richard E. Robbins wrote:
I recognize that Andy.  The thing is, in the past, we've made it a point to  try and focus rules discussions during the off-season.  Although we may not  have done so each year, Mark Blocker often circulates a message indicating  when rules proposals need to be made by etc.  Even if Mark didn't do that  this year (and I really don't recall) it is our well-established practice to  handle these things in the winter unless there are extenuating  circumstances.  None of what I'm saying should come as a surprise.  I really  don't think it's right to spring this one on the league today.    -----Original Message-----  From: announce-bounces at usml.net [mailto:announce-bounces at usml.net] On Behalf  Of Andrew R. Klein  Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:00 PM  To: USML Announcements  Subject: Re: [USML Announce] Serious Rule Change Proposal    Rich-    I can't say that I never thought about this before.  But it was draft prep  that really prompted me to make the proposal.    -Andy