[USML Announce] Gone in 58 Seconds

Blocker, Mark B. mblocker at Sidley.com
Mon Dec 5 16:19:30 EST 2011

Jeff:

  Its only "bait" if there is a sharp hook on the other end, and here, there is not.  Some free information for you....

1.  The Packers play a 3-4 defense, in which the job of the OLBs like Mathews is to put pressure on the QB.  Their role is comparable to the role Julius Peppers (27 tackles for the year, by the way) plays quite well in the Bears D.  In the Packer D, the tackle leaders should be the two MLBs, and if we are winning a lot (12-0, as a reminder), the safeties and corners.  True every year for the last three.

2.  Sacks are nice, but pressure is the key.  Pressure yields picks and incompletions, and the Pack has lots of both.  In terms of pressure, football pundits widely acknowledge that Mathews is having a great year, even though his sack totals are down.

3.  Nice how you overlooked Mathews' two picks, both in key situations, and arguably the difference against the Giants.  He never takes a play off.

4.  I may not know baseball; heck, I may not know football.  But I know the Pack.  I can identify those playing well (A Rod, Mathews) from those playing poorly (Peprah, Woodson).

  Final word of advice: don't wake the sleeping giant.  Until now, the USML Packer fans have been pretty quiet this year despite being on the most phenomenal run of my lifetime, and I am sure most are happy with that, because at 12-0, there really isn't too much in the negative column to write about.

  -- Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: announce-bounces at usml.net [mailto:announce-bounces at usml.net] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Winick
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2011 2:38 PM
To: announce at usml.net
Subject: Re: [USML Announce] Gone in 58 Seconds

I just knew Mr. B would come to the defense of the poster boy for the
Green Bay defense.  Put out a little cheese and the true blue Greenies
can't help but take the bait.

Watch TV?  You bet.  And my guess is that you haven't since if you had
you might have seen what is inescapable to anyone who knows anything
about football.

2 tackles in yesterday's game.  Wow!  36 tackles on the season.  36!
That's 9th on the Packers.  What about that is dominating?

6 sacks.  Not bad, but we're talking about a guy that is hyped as the
BEST IN FOOTBALL.  You must be kidding me.  6 sacks has him tied for
26th in the league.

And if you watched the long-haired wonder, you'd notice that at least
once during every possession, he seems to take the play off.  Just
lolligagging around as though his reputation alone will make the tackle.

I'm not saying he's a bad football player.  He's not.  But he reminds
me of a former Packer linebacker, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila.  The only
difference is marketing.

Clay Matthews - the most overrated player in the NFL....easily.