[USML Announce] Don't Arraign on Cabrera's Parade

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 17:56:50 EST 2011

>From espn:

FORT PIERCE, Fla. -- Miguel Cabrera has an arraignment set for March
16 following the arrest last week of the Detroit Tigers slugger on
suspicion of drunken driving.

Gayle Braun, an assistant state attorney for St. Lucie County, says
Judge Cliff Barnes will preside over Cabrera's arraignment. The first
baseman was arrested late Feb. 16 on suspicion of driving under the
influence of alcohol and resisting an officer without violence, both
misdemeanors. Braun says she's reviewing what formal charges she might
bring.

Cabrera was arrested about 110 miles southeast of Lakeland, where the
Tigers hold spring training. He missed the start of workouts and the
team hasn't said when he will arrive.

Braun said Tuesday there was no lawyer on record for Cabrera.

---Please note that under our Constitution, Cabrera cannot be retained
or drafted because our 3/13 draft day precedes the arraignment hearing
set for 3/16. See USML Constitution, Art. 15, Sec. 4(b)(ii) (players
with pending arraignments for DUI and other designated misdemeanors
ineligible to be retained or drafted if plea not entered or case
disposed of prior to roster freeze day or draft day, whichever is
earlier).  Another nice consequence of an early draft date.

--Also, note that Daylight Savings Time takes effect Sunday, March 13.
Jeffrey, set your clock ahead one hour now, please, so we know you'll
be ready by March 13.

--I am keeping nine pitchers, whenever we draft. Did I tell you that
already?  Andrus (10!!) and Encarnacion (5!!!) available for right
pitcher (cheap, set-up, future closer, etc)....March 13: Let's show
those Egyptians how to party!!!!