[USML Announce] Baseball memories

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 12:26:15 EST 2013

Jim, et al., I have vague memories of attending Cubs games with my late dad
and grandfather in the early 60s, when just about the entire extended
family lived on Chicago's northwest side. Remember having a Banks Hartland
statute and crying when the bat broke (made up for it years later when I
spent the bucks to get NM condition Aparacio-Fox statutes; if you don't
know what I talk of, check them out online--originals ony!!). For a few
years we lived in a large apt. building and it was a big deal when folks
started migrating to the burbs. One of our friends lived near Ron Santo's
house and I actually walked over to see him with my pal.  When we moved to
South Holland circa '65 and I landed a gig delivering the Chicago dailies
(back when there were 4, can you believe it), I'd earn free tickets to see
White Sox games-it was that and my dad's warped allegiance to the Cubs that
caused me to become a passionate Sox fan. I recall photo days and the
players would stand behind ropes in the OF and I'd walk around and take
pictures with my Polaroid. Favorite early memory is watching Sox play
dreaded Yankees in mid 60s...watching the Mick in his last year, it was a
very sad sight (I recall how bummed I was when his lifetime AVG. fell below
.300 cos of that last year, when I got his '69 baseball card--can anyone
fact check that?)--and it was that year --'68, I believe--when I watched a
doubleheader against the Yankees and pitching ace Gary Peters belted a
grand slam to beat them--and the Sox used him to pinch hit in the second
game, that's how woeful their offense was.