USML Media Stars

USML Forums Forums Memorabilia USML Media Stars

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Andy Klein
      Participant

I was about to jump into the Benson thread, but thought better of it. Frankly, I couldn’t handle the disturbing image of Kerber in some parking lot saying, “Wait a minute, Anna. I have to input this last evaluation of John Papelbon into my spreadsheet before we go further.”

Anyway, I went to Borders yesterday and bought the new Fantasy Baseball 2006 Guide. You may recall that this is the magazine that gave Winick some space for commentary last year. Well, this year Winick is touted as a full-fledged expert, complete with an artist’s rendition of his mug on the magazine’s third page! For the record, Jeff, I am crying bullshit on two things: (1) Unless you’ve used a lot of Rogaine in the last year, the drawing seriously misrepresents your hairline. (2) I want proof of the claim that you have averaged a victory a year since 1988. (Although, I guess if you play in enough leagues …) I’m in the process of reviewing all of Winick’s “Picks” and “Pans” and will interpret them for the league at a later date.

And, Blocker, when is the draft date?

That is all.

-Andy

PS: Actually, that’s not all. My brother reported that Rick Gammons was recently in the Chicago Tribune sports section musing about the best-ever quarterback names. Rick … my bro says that you identified yourself as “Rick Gammons, Buffalo Grove”. Don’t you know that until October, you are supposed to identify yourself as “Rick Gammons, 2005 USML Champion, Buffalo Grove”?!

Mark Kerber
      Participant

1. I wouldn’t do that. Maybe if we were talking about a hitting prospect, but a pitching prospect would seldom be worth it.

2. An expert is someone who was right once. But I’m going to buy the magazine anyway. (Q: Will Winick’s picks and pans be his real ones, or just his publicly available misinformation?)

Mark

Mark Kerber
      Participant

I just showed this string to Karen. She thinks we’ve taken this Fantasy Baseball thing a bit too far.

Mark

Jeff Winick
      Participant

Guys:

I’m glad to see that you’re focusing on the absence of a receding hairline in the picture. I thought that was the least of the problems. My son, Ben looked at it and asked why they had a picture of John Madden in place of me!!

As for the amount of victories over the course of my rotisserie career, I fully acknowledge that there is only one USML and I certainly have not won it on an annual basis. However, other than during the first few years of the USML (back when we could call it Uncle Sidley’s Major League without fear of penalty), I have played in an average of 4-5 leagues a year. Although it looked fairly impressive in the magazine (don’t you think ) – it really isn’t that hard to average a win in 20% of your leagues on an annual basis.

Finally, I leave you to your own devices with respect to trying to outguess me and my picks and pans. You might note that most of my predictions relate to the NL and that wasn’t accidental. However, I will say this: “I’ll start the bidding at $25 on Curt Schilling”.

That’s all for now.

Jeff

Andy Klein
      Participant

In case some of you are feeling like you are in the movie Ground Hog Day, rest easy: Andy sent virtually the identical message about Winick’s new-found expert status last year on almost this exact same date. I have replicated it below for league historians to study:

In a message dated 1/17/2005 4:20:58 PM Central Standard Time, anrklein@yahoo.com writes:

So I finally find a fantasy baseball magazine at the store — “Fantasy Baseball Guide: Professional Edition”. It has the standard fare: player profiles, dollar values, and expert advice.

Then, as I’m working my way through the columns, what do I see? Jeff Winick’s name on the column bylines!!

Kerber — you and I beat an “expert” last year! The rest of you better plunk down your $6.95 and figure out what to do for 2005.

-Andy

Andy Klein
      Participant

That fact that Mark B. suggests I have *any* remaining hairline is a compliment. But, Mark, how can you call my messages “virtually identical”? My note last year made no comment about Winick’s looks. Nor did it make any reference to Kerber studying John Papelbon while in a parking lot with Anna Benson. Give me some credit for incorporating the new material!

Anyway, I’m pleased to report that Klein Nine ace Eric Bedard is a “Winick Pick”. Let the offers begin …

-Andy

Mark Kerber
      Participant

Andy:

I can’t believe you fell for such an obvious head fake. You probably also don’t realize that Winick Pan Ben Broussard is sitting at the top of Winick’s sleeper list. And speed burner Joey Gathright is on Winick’s gotta have list.

And, Jeff, Konerko’s landed safely in Chicago, where he’ll be hitting in front of Jim Thome, so we can all breathe a sigh of relief on that one.

Mark

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.