In the Wake of the 1998 Draft

USML Forums Forums Pippin’s Spot In the Wake of the 1998 Draft

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Richard Robbins
      Keymaster

Promptly following the 1998 Draft Rich Robbins posted by email the following message…

First and foremost, I would like to express my thanks to the Blockers for hosting the draft and doing a magnificent job as well. I’m sure that it was difficult for Sheila and the kids.

Here are my meager (and somewhat random) observations on the proceedings.

The Riptorns needed to avoid making any huge mistakes. They appeared to succeed. Now all they need is for the Roto gods to look kindly on them.

I thought that Mark Kerber was out of his mind spending so much money on starting pitching. Perhaps not. The Nukes are in a good position to steal the crown from the Riptorns. Kudos to Mark.

Evan. Spring forward and fall back. Enough said. P.S. Congratulations on the new baby.

Mark Blocker is consistently in love with his team. Dump the rose colored glasses. I don’t think that the Bombers will be in the hunt at crunch time.

The Hoosier Daddies will finish in the money.

On a personal note, I would like to thank Jeff for making sure that someone else has the worst team in the league this year. Jeff claims that he is rebuilding for the future. That may be. However, I think that he is merely trying to make me feel better. The post-championship performance of the Red-Hots has been miserable, to say the least. Kind of like what is anticipated for the Florida Marlins. Jeff did warn me about price runs on prospects. I should have listened. Next year….. "I’m not going to pay a lot for that prospect!"

— Rich

To which Andy Klein responded…

In a message dated 98-04-07 09:32:52 EDT, Rich writes:

<< The Hoosier Daddies will finish in the money.>>

This prediction might be based on Benson numbers that assumed Jose Mesa would be Cleveland’s closer. The prediction might also be based on an assumption that Mike Fetters would stay healthy. Without stealing any of Pippin’s thunder, I think the Daddies are in for a struggle.

That is (not) all.

–Andy

Prompting Rich to reply…

This prediction is not based on Benson. It is based on my pre-draft discussions with Rick, during which I came to the conclusion that this year he has the "eye of the tiger" and also that he is due. On the other hand, it may be that he has the eye of tigger…..

— Rich

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.